Marketing and Communications Role
We are looking for a professional Marketing and Communications professional to join our team in either a Trustee or Advisory position.
Purpose of this role
• To provide an overall communication and profile-raising support function to all areas surrounding development of the charity, both internal and external communication and also assisting with fundraising public relations activities.
• To provide the Board and staff with appropriate support and advice on all relevant matters pertaining to this role.
Main duties -strategic
• To support the development and implementation of a strategic communications plan to advance the public profile of Team Kenya
• To ensure this strategy provides regular and effective communication with these stakeholders about the charity’s purposes, values, work and achievements, including information that enables them to measure the charity’s success in achieving its purposes
• To create a public relations strategy that will allow Team Kenya to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted external audiences including the media and key influencers
• Through networking, to broaden awareness of the charity’s values and priorities; and increase its visibility across a wider audience
• To manage risk associated with growing external communications to ensure we are clear in communicating and reflecting our values as an inclusive and welcoming organisation for all.
Main duties – operational
• To support the Fundraising and Operations Manager in the implementation of the communications strategy, including some oversight of the PR and communications activities of a small group of volunteers
• To publicise Team Kenya to a variety of audiences to enable it to fulfil its mission and aims
• To work with the trustees, staff and volunteers to recognise internal and external communications opportunities and solutions, and define and execute appropriate strategies to support them
What we are looking for…
We are looking for someone with experience in developing and leading the communications strategies and campaigns for small to medium charitable organisations or social enterprises. We welcome interest from experienced and dedicated professionals willing to spearhead our communications at a pivotal time for the charity as we diversify our approach to connect and engage with new and existing supporters.
The right person for this exciting opportunity is a collaborator and communicator. They will have a sincere interest in understanding Team Kenya with the ability to recognise the potential in what we have organically co-created with our international community, and the skills and nuanced experience to communicate this impactfully, sensitively and with respect,
in a highly competitive space.
• Ability to demonstrate a full range of communications and marketing, people, and management skills
• Excellent written, verbal and presentation skills with a track record of producing high quality, inspiring and compelling content across a range of channels / audiences.
• Analytical and evaluation skills, demonstrating good judgement
• Analytical skills and ability to interpret and work with a range of data and information and evaluate impact of activity
• Experience of managing and mitigating reputation risk
• Experience of working within the charity, voluntary and public sector would be advantageous
• Understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities, and liabilities of trusteeship
• Good communication and leadership skills
As a small charity, most of our trustees take on a small operational role. This role does need a greater level of time commitment initially, working with the Chair and Funding and Operations Manager to review and update the existing procedures and processes. After that the level of time needed to fulfil the ongoing duties of this role can be discussed and agreed with the Chair if Trustees.
Further information about this role or to find out about the application process, please email
Team Kenya is a small UK charity working in partnership with a Kenyan NGO, to educate girls, empower women and transform poor communities in Ndhiwa, rural Western Kenya. Women and girls in rural Kenyan communities like Ndhiwa are held back by poverty and gender inequality. We work with these communities to create a level playing field for girls and boys, where all young people have the same opportunities for education and employment. We involve all members of the communities we support to ensure girls have the best possible chance at success. We provide mothers with loans and training and hold community events where we promote gender equality. We’ve witnessed that with education and support, girls in these communities can break the cycle of poverty and transform their lives. We remove the barriers to girls’ education by supporting them with scholarships, counselling, training, and confidence building programmes. Our roots in supporting rural communities in Kenya go back almost 20 years, so we really understand the needs of the people we work with. Since 2008 we have supported over 6,000 girls to stay in school, be safe happy and healthy and break their cycle of poverty.
We have 4 strategic priority areas:
1. Girls Education – Girls gain access to and attain a good quality education and have relevant skills and knowledge to fully participate in economic social and cultural life.
2. Economic Empowerment and Food Security – Families have improved food security and develop sustainable economic enterprises to support girls.
3. Advocacy for Safe Communities- Girls and young women are equal and respected members of society who are safe at home, in school and in their community.
4. Organisational development and capacity building- We work in partnership with a Kenyan NGO; we are small and sustainable. We are transparent and accountable and provide the maximum level of support to beneficiaries.